Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Makin' Magic Outta Canned Goods - 5

This week's plan (and last week's plan too) is:

Michigan Dogs with Creamy Coleslaw
  **This was a recipe straight off the Rachel Ray show. Ryan and I watched her make it, salivating the whole time! Try them, you won't be disappointed. Michigan Dogs
  **We topped them with shredded cheddar and mustard, instead of the cheese sauce. They were sooo good!

Salmon Kabobs with Rice and Tomato-Onion Salad
  ** Last week I saw salmon kabobs at Rainbow at the seafood counter, I went back this week to buy them. They were spendy, but delish! Three of them were enough for our dinner, plus Ryan's lunch. 
  **Rainbow also usually has steak and chicken kabobs pre-assembled, and with the salmon kabobs were also tuna kabobs. 'Bobs for everybody!
  **I might have mentioned it before, but Ryan and I like to eat BBQ sauce on our rice--I know, weird--but we do! So we sauced our rice with our salmon. Try BBQ salmon filets with rice sometime!
  **I made a tomato and onion salad, with olive oil and salt and pepper. It was similar to that mozzarella salad, but no mozzarella.

GF Potato Gnocchi and Peasto, and Grilled Chicken
  ** My old roommate Bia used to eat cheese perogies with sauteed peas and onions--that's what this meal is like. 
  **A while back I found a recipe for "pesto" made out of frozen/fresh peas (ahem, PEA-sto). I can't find the same recipe online, but when I get home I'll note where it came from. But I had some in the freezer, so we're eating it up!
  **I modified a potato gnocchi recipe t be gluten free (subbing rice/garbanzo flour for wheat flour). So we'll see how they turn out. The substitutions were based on some GF recipes I found as well. The original recipe I found was at King Arthur Flour.
  **I'll probably par-boil the gnocchi (about 60 seconds) and then fry them in oil to finish cooking for a (hopefully) crisp outside
  **I'll also probably throw some sauteed onions into the mix, because I like them, and add grilled chicken breasts to make it more substantial. 
 
Special Request: Steak with Rice and Asparagus
  ** Ryan wanted steak for dinner. I asked if he wanted anything special with it, or any sauce. NOPE. 
  **What does Ryan want with his steak? RICE. Always rice.
  **Ryan likes all green veggies, so we're having asparagus with butter and lemon. 
  **He's an easy man to please.

Crock-Pot Chicken with Mushroom Sauce
  **I wanted something to throw in the crock-pot to be ready for him after work, since I was at work into the evening. 
  **I used this recipe, but substituted cream cheese for the sour cream (because I wanted something more luxurious), and added fresh mushrooms and onion. I also mixed together the sauce and tasted/seasoned it before I put it in. You never know what you're gonna get flavor-wise with those canned soups!
  **It was exactly what beef stroganoff would be if you used chicken.
  **Neither Ryan or I loved it, but it wasn't bad. He ate it over rice, and I ate the leftovers.

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment