Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Makin' Magic Outta Canned Goods - 2

This week's plan is:

Chicken Caesar Salads
    ** I'm making my own dressing for this, because I don't trust the bottled dressings to be GF. But obviously this meal could be made with store-bought dressing OR a complete salad kit in a bag, just add grilled chicken. 
  **I used a combination of Alton Brown's recipe and Tyler Florence's recipe. I skipped the anchovies, though I will admit I think that's what the recipe was "missing." Also, I used an extra virgin olive oil, and it was pretty olivey tasting--which I don't like. Next time I might do half EVOO and half veggie or canola oil. I also almost doubled the parmesan and used a coarse ground black pepper. Overall, it was pretty tasty for my first attempt!

Spaghetti 
  ** Ryan climbs on Monday nights so I try to make something quick and energy filled for him before he goes. 
  **I acquired some pesto from work this week, so I'll probably use that up instead of a red sauce. Pesto is so cheap and quick, especially with the farmers market around! A huge bunch of fresh basil is only $1, and if you sub walnuts for pine nuts this is super cheap and fresh for summer! Also, if you leave the parmesan cheese out pesto freezes really well. Just thaw it and add the cheese when you're ready to use it!


BBQ Chicken with Rice and Creamed Peas
  ** Try Sweet Baby Ray's Original for a GF sauce.
  ** Ryan loves both rice and peas, so we usually have these on hand. The recipe tagged calls for canned peas, but I will be using frozen, and also subbing the flour for cornstarch as noted in a previous Magic Meal post.

Tacos  with Salsa and Guacamole 
  ** Can't have Cinco de Mayo without tacos!! 
  **Ryan likes a salsa called Salsa Lisa, I fell in love recently with one called Snappy Dogs, which is produced in Woodbury. You can buy both at Whole Foods.
  ** My favorite Guac. recipe is by Dave Lieberman (in his book Young and Hungry) but there are millions of recipes out there, so find one you like!
  ** Check out www.foodnetwork.com for more awesome Cinco de Mayo recioes!



Bon Appetit!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you. Keep posting more. I really need the help planning meals. This is really great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, folks! The creamed peas were not a hit. I think I really wanted to eat creamed corn, and that's what I had in my head, but that's not the same as creamed peas, FYI.

    ReplyDelete